Ultrasonic test is one of the most widespread flaw-detection methods. It allows to reveal the smallest defects located at significant depths of various metals and welded joints. Also it is used to determine thickness of products. The test is conducted only by certified specialists who have qualification of at least second degree.
Ultrasonic test is based on ability of high frequency vibrations (<20 kHz) to penetrate into material and reflect from surfaces of scratches and other discontinuities. Artificially generated, directed diagnostic wave penetrates the tested joint and upon detection of defect it deviates from its normal spreading. Operator registers deviation on the device screen and describes attribute of revealed defect.
Specific aspects of ultrasonic test
Ultrasonic test is used at hazardous objects (aviation engines, pipelines, nuclear reactors etc.). Under condition daily production, ultrasonic test is utilized for control of welded joints at construction and installation works, production of steel structures, pipelines etc.
Main advantages of ultrasonic test:
- safety (in comparison with radiographic method)
- testing various materials
- high sensitivity to such defects like cracks, poor penetrations;
- high penetrating power that enables detection of internal defects in oversized objects;
- capability to reveal sizes and location of defects;
- possibility of testing elements of machines and structures at site without disruption of technological process, under the conditions of operation;
- possibility of testing at single side access in tested object.
“Center of industrial diagnostics and control” LLC performs ultrasonic test of welded joints and base metal in accordance with Ukrainian and international standards.
Upon testing results, we issue report about quality of welded joints as per requirements of regulatory documents and design documentation.